An Historical Perspective!
PowerBuilder Release HistoryOwner, Release Number, Date, Key New Feature Highlights ....
- 1.0 July 1991 .... Beginning of a historic run
- 2.0 June 1992 .... OO support, Painter Improvements
- 3.0 May 1993 .... Bundled DB (Watcom), Version Control
- 4.0 November 1995 .... Reporting, Data Pipeline, OLE 2.0
- 5.0 July 1996 .... Machine code compilation, Distributed PowerBuilder, three-tier support
- 6.0 December 1997 .... Window ActiveX, CORBA, DataWindow HTML generation, DataWindow synchronization
- 6.5 August 1998 .... COM and Java component generators, separate Unix, Macintosh, and Unicode SKUs, internationalization via Translation Toolkit
- 7.0 October 1999 .... New IDE, new layouts and look/feel, Jaguar integration (aka EAServer) — build, create, and deploy COM and MTS components (Component Theme)
- 8.0 June 2001 .... Web Targets, Web DataWindow (integration of PowerSite functionality into PowerBuilder) (Web Development Theme)
- 9.0 February 2003 .... .NET phase 1: Web Services, XML, Java Server Pages
- 10.0 July 2004 .... .NET phase 2: DataWindow .NET, Fully Unicode
- 10.5 March 2006 .... .NET-based Web Services engine (Visual Enhancements Theme); large and small UI and core client/server enhancements, including TreeView DataWindow, RichText Edit Control (Unicode)
- 11.0 July 2007 .... .NET phase 3: NVOs as .NET assemblies, ASP.NET Web Forms, Windows Forms (.NET Theme, Web Services Theme)
- 11.5 September 2008 .... DataWindow enhancements, Oracle 11g and SQL Server 2008 support, improved graphing (Visual Enhancements Theme)
- 12.0 April 2010 .... .NET phase 4: WPF applications, WPF DataWindow, improved DataWindow graphing, Visual Studio isolated shell
- 12.5 November 2013 .... Window transparency, DW Table Blob feature, User drawn controls DW, Rich Text expressions in DW, Share Data Sources with .NET
- 12.6 June 2014 .... oData support, 64bit Applications, Oracle 12C support and Dockable Windows
- 2017 June 2017 .... Windows 10 compliance, Cloud Licensing, Standalone Compiler, Native PDF support, and PowerServer Mobile (Universal Edition) included.
- 2017R2 January 2018 .... Native Git/SVN Source Code interface, RESTful Web Service Client, HTTP Client, JSON Parser and JSON Generator. (All Editions)
- 2017R3 July 2018 (Planned) .... JSON Update, RESTFul Synchronization, Cryptography Functions, oAuth2 support, SQL Server 2017 support, and PowerServer Web* (included in Universal Edition).
I hope that you enjoyed the history lesson!
Regards ... Chris