** Hot News **
Web Browser version of the PowerBuilder CD player released!
Built and deployed using Appeon 6.5.1045.00
This release is written in PowerBuilder 12.1 (build 6518 - GA) and encompasses some interesting features that you can coax out of the Windows operating system. Normally, the application can be deployed as a Win32, Winform or WPF (using PB.Net) and allows the user to control music from any CD/DVD player attached to their PC.
The amazing part of this story though is use of the Appeon Web product and it's ability to be able to translate the PowerScript based application into pure XML, HTML and jScript - thus totally removing the PBVM run-time dependency. Then, being able to reproduce verbatim the application GUI inside the web browser while the Appeon AJAX plugin allows any web application the absolute necessary O/S control to accomplish its task!
|Actual screen capture of the Appeon Web CD player at work!|
- Pure web deployment of any application
- PB Developer controlled look & feel
- Absolute Low level control
- Native printing using local PC's resources (not PDF dependent)
- Using Appeon Mobile and the same baseline code you can also deploy to a Mobile device!
So not only is this a "kool" application to run natively, the important aspect to consider when building a PB application with plans to webify is that if you need low-level control to use a scanner, bar code reader, camera, GPS, etc Appeon's unique architecture (*).
I am Appeon Sam
Appeon Sam I am, That Sam-I-am!
I could not build this in a box.
Nor using Visual fox.
I do not like it built with Delphi.
I do not like it built with VB.
I do not use WPF for that here or there.
I do not even use Webforms anywhere.
I do not like Visual Studio's C# and ham.
I do not like them at all, Appeon Sam-I-am.
* - Note: You can not do this common code base application with other tools like Visual Studio, Delphi, or even with PB's WebForms feature. Either the functionality is not available or you need to re-write the application code for each target environment deployment. When you Appeon to the PB mix though - a whole new horizon emerges! :-)
If you would like to enjoy the Native or Web version of the above CD Player application, please visit the SourceForge website and my STD-Foundation-Classes project. Then select "All Files" to drill down to the PowerBuilder or Appeon sections. All the code in this project is free & open source.
For information on a Free Version of Appeon Developer, join ISUG at the "Green ($99) or Gold" level and receive Appeon as part of your membership!
Regards ... Chris Pollach
President: Software Tool & Die Inc.