** Hot News **
New SQL Extract version 17
for Appeon PowerBuilder 2017
Software Tool & Die Inc. (STD Inc) have just released a new version of the SQL Extract utility (version 18.104.22.168) that can reverse engineer Appeon PowerBuilder's proprietary SQL format known as a PBSELECT into either ANSI, PL/SQL or T-SQL format from within any DataWindow (TM) object. The new version of the SQL Extract utility was designed to allow it to forward & reverse engineer the DataWindow source code from any Unicode based PowerBuilder library. This means that DataWindow source from PowerBuilder version 10 through PB 2017 can be parsed & the SQL run-time generated from a PBSELECT - just like when your DataWindows are actually running under control of your PowerBuilder based production applications! The utility will also identify DataWindows that are not using a PBSELECT format that may be already causing performance, migration or cross-DBMS issues.
The output of SQL Extract is a textual based .SQL file that can be input directly into SQL syntax analysis products like: SQL Parser; SQL Doctor; Aqua Data Studio; DB Optimizer; etc (to name a few products) for further SQL analysis, formatting, & tuning. STD successfully tested the new version of SQL Extract with SAP's latest SQL Anywhere 17 & ASE 16 as well as the Microsoft SQLServer 2017 DBMS system. SQL Extract can also handle other DB access mechanisms, such as: OLE-DB, ADO.net, JDBC, OData. Support for the ODBC db driver is still standard, but the native db drivers are fully supported as per the Appeon PB 2017R1 product feature set. For older ASE databases, SQL Extract also supports the Open Client (SYC) native DB driver access mechanism.
The new version of the SQL Extract utility will also work with Appeon's InfoMaker 2017 & PowerServer 2017 development tools as well, as those products also utilize DataWindow technology. The new features of SQLXTract v17 are as follows:
- Migrated the App code to PB2017R1 - version 22.214.171.1241.
- Revised SQL extraction logic to support "on the fly" DataWindow source conversion to PB2017R1 syntax
- Tested SQL Extract with SA 17 and the new "PB Demo DB V2017" database
- Removed the WinForm Target (now an obsolete PB feature)
- Added new Project for 64bit deployment
- Added support for the Informix DBMS & client
- Added oData DB client support
- Added JDBC DB client support
- Added client support for the SAP ASE v15/16 DBMS
- Added client support for the MS-SQLServer 2016/2017 DBMS
- Added client support for the Oracle 12C DBMS
- Tested SQL Extract with ASE 16 & SS 2017 DBMS
The SQL Extract utility application is open source and thus royalty free to use. You can download the SQL Extract application source code from its current location on the SourceForge website.
Regards ... Chris